What a fun day and a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving. We got together with two other families that, like us, had no other extended family to get together with. We ended up with 6 adults, 8 "big" kids(ranging in age from 1 1/2-6), one in a highchair and one in her momma's arms. It was crazy busy, but so much fun to combine together. We started out our day with Paul playing in our ward "turkey bowl" at a local park. Then we rushed home and cooked and cleaned up all the rest of the morning. Three o'clock rolled around, the turkey came out of the oven, and friends showed up. All of the sudden, we had GOBS of food and not enough room to put it all. Brooke had the brilliant idea to bring butcher paper to line the kids tables with. The kids thought it was SO cool that they could color on the table and not get in trouble. And it allowed us a little bit more time to eat....sort of. Kids eat fast and are on to the next thing. We ended up putting on a cartoon, so the adults could enjoy their feast too. Everyone left a little before 8 o'clock, Paul got the kids to bed and I literally fell onto the bed and crashed for almost two hours. I know...pathetic. Paul cleaned up the whole kitchen without me. What a man I have!!!! 10 o'clock rolled around, I pulled myself out of bed, put on some more comfortable clothes and woke up a bit. 11 o'clock, Becky knocks at my door and it's time to head out with Brooke to Toy's R Us for some midnight black Friday shopping. The lines were INCREDIBLY LONG, it was cold and I was SO tired, but something about being with friends made it all okay! We laughed about how stupid we were for even being there, and wished we had all dressed a little bit warmer. By 12:20 we made it into the store and proceeded to fight the crowds, all in the name of "saving". I actually did get some good deals, mostly for Brandon. By 3 am we all got home to get some rest (some, more than others, as I think Becky went to Target at 5 and Brooke headed to JoAnn's at 7). I slept until 9:30 and then showered and headed out again. All in all, it was a fabulous day! I just love Thanksgiving. Such a wonderful time to remember all the many big and small blessings I have, which are many. Gobble gobble!
Paul and Ashlyn playing a little bball while waiting for dinner to get ready.
Jason showing the kids how it's done.
The table setting. You'd hardly be able to tell the plates were plastic. Gotta hand it to Costco.
The spread of yumminess!
Chillin' on the couch watching a Christmas cartoon after dinner.
Brooke was the only one that smiled when I told her to. Good girl Brooke. hahaha....
6 comments:
that was so fun, thanks for inviting us. definitely a memorable 24 hours. the food was amazing!
Wow both of us celebrated Thanksgiving without family. Was that a first for you?? Was for me:) Yours sounded great. And you are CRAZY for doing the late night shopping!!! I don't know how you got up the energy to do it. I'm impressed!!
Sounds simply PERFECT! Well all but the shopping...you ladies are all crazy! ;)
That looks incredible - what a great holiday!!!!
What fun!
What a fun time for your family and friends. Our Thanksgiving was okay but I felt the void of not have family here or us being there. I hope we don't have too many holidays like that.
love you, mom
Post a Comment