Leah has been going to a ballet class for the last ten weeks. It was a class I signed her up for through the Park and Rec program because she kept asking/begging me to take ballet. The class started and within a few minutes I could tell this was NOT going to be the class for her. She has WAY too much energy to be poised and dedicated to the art of ballet. The first class ended and she had barely listened to her teacher the whole time. I shrugged it off to being the first day of class and hoped the next week would be better. It wasn't. In fact, she came out of class telling me her teacher asked her to "listen better next week". So the count down began. Every week Leah would ask me when her last ballet class was and when she could go back to taking gymnastics. Every week I told her and said that she had to at least finish it out because I had already paid for it, and I didn't want her to quit just because it wasn't "her thing". She did after all, BEG me to take the class. Well the blessed day finally arrived this past Tuesday. And boy did Leah know it. She was SO happy to go to ballet that day. All she kept saying all day was that it was her last day of ballet and then she could start gymnastics (I wasn't going to enroll her in two classes at once). So I thought, fine, let's just go to class, get it over with, and she'll start gymnastics the next week. Well, we get to class a few minutes early. Leah prances on in to the room and begins dancing around and singing. What is she singing you ask? "This is my last day of ballet. This is my last day of ballet"(in a very sing songy happy voice). Her teacher looks at her and says, "Are you happy it's the last day? Because I'm sad". Leah looks at her quite confused, and then continues her little dance and song around the room. Her teacher looks at me, and I try to come up with some lame excuse, but really I was just embarrassed and wanted the class to hurry up and start so I could sit back and not talk to her anymore.
So ballet finally ended. I immediately called up her old gymnastics studio, signed her up for class, and took her in this afternoon. She was ecstatic. And I'm just happy that she is finally happy about what she is doing. Gymnastics just suits her so much better. And that is okay. I think she'll be fantastic.
2 comments:
Oh boy, the many ways in which they will embarrass us!! Yeah for you being a good money and not forcing her to dance!
Yep, gymnastics is more Leah's personality. She is a lot like you. Gymnastics was more your thing too. Only I took you out of dance about the 3rd week. Your teacher was just mean to you.
mom
Post a Comment