Thursday, July 22, 2010

Yay for my veg (and fruit too)

I'm sorry to keep boring everyone (all four of you that are reading this that is), but I'm so excited for my garden this year. Last year, I really only got tomatoes, which was okay because it was my first year and I was just trying to figure things out. Well, I'm still trying to figure things out, but at least I'm getting more good stuff. Hooray! And hopefully, next year will be even better. Seems the biggest problem I am running into are rabbits, squirrels, and lack of full sunlight all day in the same spot. Don't know if I can do much about those things. I'll just be putting bits and pieces of my garden all over my backyard and then hope for the best.


I had pretty much given up on my two cantaloupe plants. They look pretty pathetic huh?


But then, this evening, while Ashlyn was "watering" my plants for me, she discovered this little beauty. I couldn't believe it. I seriously almost pulled this plant up a couple of weekends ago. I'm anxious to see if anything good comes of this baby cantaloupe. I will keep you posted (cuz I know you care).


I have three bellpepper plants but the only one that has been producing anything good is the one surrounded by my cucumber plant. I think the vermin can't get to it because cucumber leaves are too pokey. Smart mistake I made there huh? I really had NO idea my cucumber plant was going to grow so big and be so spread out. But I have at least 4 bell peppers growing, and some more flowers on their way.


Tomatoes are pretty easy to grow. I'm just waiting for these to turn red and juicy.


And I've gotten about 6 cucumbers off my cucumber plant and am hoping for many more. I guess as long as I see flowers, means there is a chance for more veggies. Yum!


And my apple tree. They are small apples. But they are quite tasty. And I have a whole bunch, which is MUCH better than the TWO whole apples that grew last year and then were snatched up by squirrels before I could taste them. The squirrels are still getting them, but it's okay cuz there's lots!



8 comments:

Jenn said...

awesome! I'm loving going out each night and picking my own veggies and apples! :) I planted zucchini and they would flower and NOTHING would happen. My friend told me I got a MALE plant. figures, happens to some. Weird! So, i'll try again next year. And something ate my cucumber plants so I'm quite jealous of yours! But, I have a TON of apples this year, even dehydrated some today.(and your apples look exactly like mine!) It makes me feel good when things grow.

Your garden looks amazing! Keep us posted on that cantaloupe!

RachelAA said...

I am way impressed, way to go! (both of you!) Those bell peppers are to die for! YUM YUM, keep it up.

RachelAA said...

I have heard some people really like apple pie... just a thought....

Beth said...

Very cool! You should be excited!

casey.chelsea.cali said...

Very impressive! I've said this before, but I can not wait to start a garden. And, I don't think these posts are boring at all. I love seeing your success in the garden:)

tphillips said...

This is AWESOME! I so wish that I could do this but it's a litte difficult without a yard! How Exciting for you though! Way to go!

Rojahn Family said...

Ohhhhh! How fun! Everything looks so good and pretty!!! I miss having a garden!

Anonymous said...

i am so proud of you and that garden of yours! it's amazing! i don't even have one yet and i've been procrastinating it because i'm afraid of how "dinky" it would look or pathetic. but now you have inspired me for next year. thanks!!! and how fun to go to your step sis's. baby shower. that cake looked so great!!!!