Wednesday, April 13, 2011

So Proud!

He did it! And he is so very proud. Let me give the back story. We have been talking about being potty trained for a VERY long time around this house. Like since before Carter was born. But there was no way I was going to even attempt it then. So we just kept talking about it. Prepping him for him. Trying to sit on the potty even. Never had any success.  Brandon didn't care about it. He just kept telling me he will learn to go potty on the big boy potty when he "gets bigger like this"(then he would hold his arm up high above his head). Well, a month or so ago we tried a few times (on Saturdays when Paul was home) with no success. I knew he could do it, he was just scared to try. So I waited.....and waited. Then I signed him up for Summer Camp, which starts in June. Then it hit me....he HAD to be potty trained to go to Summer Camp! And voila, we had our motivation. I broke down and got a little potty seat since he was still scared of the big potty. I bought him some super cool underwear and after naptime one day, we gave it another whirl. Of course he had to go as soon as I sat down to nurse Carter (which is why I had been holding off on training him). So I told him to just sit on his new seat and see if he could do it. He was nervous, that's for sure, but he couldn't hold it anymore. And he did it! I could tell he was kind of shocked. As if he JUST realized that's what you do. Since then, it's been a breeze. He's only had one accident (at the Fish Hatchery) and he's even woken up with a dry pullup after naptime every day, and once or twice in the morning. But we aren't ready to tackle that yet. 

And now, just about three weeks since we started, he's starting to take himself sometimes. Shutting the door in my face telling me he needs "privacy". The kid cracks me up. 

What's his prize you ask? Since every kid needs a big prize for mastering such a thing. A new gun. By his request of course. He will be getting it soon. It will be a nerf gun for sure. But hey, whatever works. Plus, he is super excited he can go to Summer Camp now!

Three down...ONE to go. 



7 comments:

tphillips said...

Go Brandon!!! You rock!!!

Brittany and Marcin said...

Yipee!!!! Way to go Brandon!!!! Love the undies!

RachelAA said...

I am so very, very jealous. Andi has totally reverted back to diapers. It's awful. She doesn't even try anymore :(

RachelAA said...

I am so very, very jealous. Andi has totally reverted back to diapers. It's awful. She doesn't even try anymore :(

RachelAA said...

I am so very, very jealous. Andi has totally reverted back to diapers. It's awful. She doesn't even try anymore :(

RachelAA said...

I am so very, very jealous. Andi has totally reverted back to diapers. It's awful. She doesn't even try anymore :(

Emily said...

Congrats! We have completed a week at our house and it's going very well. Isn't it so funny to see them in big kids underwear instead of diapers?