Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Changing Classes

I decided I have to write about the biggest news this past week, even though I have no pictures to go with it. It's no secret I haven't been happy with Ashlyn's class this year. Being in a split class, with none of her good friends when she's one of the youngest wasn't my idea of a good year for her. And while I grew to like her teacher (well enough), I still wasn't thrilled with it all. On top of all of that, Ashlyn was starting to struggle. She's always been a good student and has always worked hard, even though school is just not her favorite thing. Like I've said before, she's a pleaser, so she does her best despite her circumstances. But sometimes a mom's gotta stick up for her sweetie. Because honestly, who else is going to. So when Ashlyn started really showing signs of stress in class (working on homework all afternoon, telling me how the other kids in her class were finishing their work way faster than her, having to stay in during morning recess to finish her work and then having to go to the 5/6th grade lunch and never seeing her friends, crying herself to sleep because she couldn't get her homework finished but was so tired), I decided enough was enough. So even though her Principal had denied me my request to place her in another class at the beginning of the year, I thought I'd try again. I was getting desperate. Even to the point of contemplating pulling her out for the remainder of the year and homeschooling her if I needed to. So I wrote up an email explaining her situation. How we have given it a good try, but that I honestly didn't feel like a split level class was a good match for her. I talked to Ashlyn of course before doing all of this to see what she thought, and if she was okay with me trying to get her moved. She said yes. So I sent the email and waited, prepared to fight the fight if need be....in the nicest way possible. I definitely wasn't trying to burn any bridges. I do understand schools are struggling and split level classes are sometimes necessary. And I do understand that it is, in some ways, a compliment to have your child placed in a split level class. But for us, it just wasn't working. Well, miracle of miracles occurred and her principal emailed me back within a few hours telling me he understood my situation and that he would be moving her the next day in to a straight 4th grade class. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I was so happy that when I called Paul to tell him about it, I had to repeat myself three times before he understood what I was saying. I guess I was talking fast. 

That afternoon when Ashlyn got home, I told her the news. She seemed excited, but nervous at the same time. I knew she would initially miss her "comfort zone", but hoped she would get in a good class. And she did. She got placed in Mrs. Smith's class with her two best school friends. And honestly the look on her face after the first couple of days told me I had made the right choice. She has much more attention from the teacher. Ashlyn even told me Mrs. Smith got on the smart board and showed them how to do a few of the math problems before leaving them to work on them. I guess her last teacher was so pinched for time she often just went over one or two problems and then gave out the assignment and moved on to the 5th graders. She said they got to play games during inside recess time and that she had science and social studies in the same day! She gets to have lunch with her friends again and even gets to be a "buddy" for a student in Leah's class (something her old teacher opted out of, again, for lack of time). Her homework load is much more manageable and age appropriate. And while she tells me Mrs. Harris's class was way ahead of Mrs. Smith's class, I don't even mind. It wouldn't hurt Ashlyn to have some review. I feel confident she will still learn everything she needs to for her state testing this Spring. 

I just tear up every time I think of it. I really feel like we were being watched over and that Heavenly Father heard my pleas. And I know it may seem kind of silly to some, but it was important to me. It's like, you know your children have to grow and learn and that we don't always get our way in life, but when you can help them out a little, it definitely makes one feel good.

 I just love that little girl. She's just about as sweet as they come. 


4 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh my gosh, Amber, now I see what I have been missing all this time! I love your family and this blog is great! Now I can feel like I can keep up with what's going on in your life. Yay! How adorable your family is. I miss you guys. And this post about Ashlyn's class brings back memories. Sometimes I thought it was best to just have my kids stick it out and deal with the teacher they had, but other times (like when Sydney was sick to her stomach every day before and after school) I had to do something about it. You're right, if you don't do it, who will? Good for you and glad it worked out great for Ashlyn! Love you guys!

Beth said...

wow this is great news and you're a great mom for sticking up for her. Good for you and yay for her!

Mindy said...

I completely agree with you. You gave it a fair chance, but it wasn't a good fit. Good for you for trying again. Ashlyn's a smartie pants, she'll be totally fine, even with the adjustment of being in a new class. And getting YOU peace of mind? yeah, that's priceless! Personally, I disagree with split classes, which I've seen mostly in CA (probably because CA's BROKE). I see the school's predicament, but when all's said and done, it's the individual student that counts. Props, Amber!

Camille said...

Oh Amber, this brought tears to my eyes!!! It is these little "tender mercies" from the Lord that help us have our faith grow! Thank you for sharing this! And I am so glad Ashlyn is doing so well in her new class!!