Thursday, August 13, 2009

1st and 6

I lived with my Aunt when her youngest started his first day of school. I remember watching her and wondering why she was so sad to see her last child start school. I thought she was weird. She was finally getting some freedom. Some time to her self to do what she wanted. But she didn't look excited. And now I understand.

Because today is Ashlyn's 6th birthday. It is also her first day of 1st grade. The first time she will be at school all day long. The first time she will have her own desk with her own name on it. And the first time she will HAVE to eat lunch at school. And while I know it is not the first time she has been away from me, I still feel like this is a BIG day. Because she will be away from home for a long time every day. She will eat lunch and play on the playground with the OLDER kids. And she will have to start fending for herself and making choices for herself in a way that she hasn't had to with Kindergarten or preschool. I'm excited and nervous for her all at the same time. I took her to her classroom this morning. She got so nervous. She wouldn't let go of my leg to go into class. She just clung to me and cried. I wanted to tell her she didn't have to go. Didn't have to leave me. But I couldn't. Instead, I tried to show her all the fun things inside and tell her how some of the same friends from Kindergarten were in there. I took her to her desk and she started to calm down. I waved goodbye to her, walked out, and back down the hill to my car. I wanted to cry. I should be happy. Should be excited to have one less kid around all day. But really I just miss her. And I'm sad.

But I'm sure tomorrow will be better.....for both of us.

10 comments:

RachelAA said...

Ahhh I am counting down the days until I get here and now you have made me so sad. Good luck to you both - and what an adorable picture of your girls.

tphillips said...

Ok seriously I must be one BIG baby because your post made me teary eyed...maybe because I sooo know the feeling. You're an awesome mom!

Michelle said...

Thanks, now I am tearying up, and TOTALLY NOT looking forward to next week when I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader!

Darling pic of the girlies, by the way!

Jenn said...

hmm might be something wrong with me. I was all teary eyed for you sending your daughter to school and I was shouting shouts of Joy this morning when I took my kids. I'm sure she is having a great first day and a Happy Birthday!

casey.chelsea.cali said...

That made me almost cry! She is such a big girl now. THe picture of her and leah is priceless, I just love it!

Beth said...

this post makes me sad. every mom can sense how you feel. i can't believe she's in first grade. first grade!

Camille said...

I know what you mean. I have a feeling it will be the same for me next week when my girls start school. Love the picture of the girls!!

Brittany and Marcin said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one reading this with a box of kleenex!!! so I might be the only seriously crying, but before I read everyone else's comments I was just blaming it on being preggo and emotional. nope, just a very lovey post about ashlyn. she's too big. make her stop.

Brenda said...

That seriously made me cry! I remember well those feelings of thinking I should be happy when finally my last child is off to school.haha. But no, it is kind of sad for the mom. I love Ashlyn, she is so cute! I hope she liked her first day. I remember the first day of kindergarten for Sydney. When I picked her up I asked her how she liked school. She let out a big sigh and said, "Awe, best day of my life!" She always loved school. I love your blog, great pictures and your kids are too cute and too big! I can't wait to see everyone soon!

Dana said...

You are the best mom, Amber. I love you, mom

Leah sure is sweet hugging Ashlyn.