What an amazing and awesome and wonderful weekend!!! Thanks to a long weekend for Paul (and two days off school for Ashlyn) we got to drive up to Utah to be there for our friends sealing in the Salt Lake Temple. It was SO incredible and I'm SO glad we were able to go.
Little background. This is the Dahl family. Renee, my good good friend who use to live down the street from me back in Van Nuys, married this guy Jared. She wasn't a member of the church and he had gone inactive as a teenager. Anyway, they got married, had two kids and then she met the sister missionaries. That's when I met her also. I had JUST had Leah, like literally three weeks earlier (in fact Renee came to my baby shower in our friend Jackie's backyard and she didn't even know me). A couple weeks later, Renee got baptized (which I missed because I was still in lala newborn baby land). Renee started coming to church and was even in the Primary presidency with me(yes, she's THAT good). We formed a little group of friends, who I affectionately call my "encino girls". We hung out all the time. Had play dates at each others houses, went swimming, on outings, out for Girls nights out. Everything. It was great. Time passed, Renee kept going to church. Her husband started coming too, and their kids started getting involved and making good friends.
Eventually, we all moved away and out of the ward, but we all kept in close contact. Then Renee moved to Utah. That was a very sad day. She had her third baby and then her fourth. They kept going to church. They made good friends with some people in their ward who talked to them about taking the temple prep classes. They agreed. They even went to do baptisms for the dead. Us girls down in CA were all VERY excited for her. Then one night I called her and she told me they were getting sealed. I literally jumped up and down with joy. I was SO happy for them. Immediately I told her we were coming (yes, I invited myself). Time quickly approached and three out of the five of us "Encino girls" were able to come up to Utah with our husbands and families for the special occasion.
It was a long drive, but the kids did very well and my mom was MORE than amazing and helped out any way she could by watching the kids practically the ENTIRE weekend, so that we could be with our friends.
Here they are after being sealed. It was such an amazing sealing. I was crying. Jackie was bawling (sorry Jackie). It was a very neat experience. After Jared and Renee were sealed, they brought in their kids to be sealed to them. And I know Renee was probably completely overwhelmed and little Tyson was crying, but really it was the most beautiful experience to see them all together being sealed for time and all eternity. I am SO glad we were able to go.
Afterward, we went to lunch and then later that evening went to dinner at a member's home (the one's who had given them the Temple Prep classes). The next day we went to the Dahl's house to let the kids play in the snow and to give us girls a chance to chat a little more.
This is my FAVORITE picture. Don't they look so cute. I seriously don't think I've ever seen Jared so happy.
The CA group. We literally felt like celebrities. Everyone in their ward kept coming up to us and thanking us for coming and saying how nice it was of us to make the trip. All I kept thinking was that I was the lucky one to get to be here and share in their special day!
The McCoy family. Lots of you that follow my blog also know them. We have lots of friends in common. Isn't this a cute family photo.
Renee hates having her picture taken. I don't know why? Look how adorable she is!
Jackie and Brad Finnigan. Yes, they live less than 30 minutes from me and Paul and we literally got to see them 10 times more than we ever do in CA. It was SO much fun!
Yet another picture I had to make Renee let me take.
Me and Jackie at the movies with our hubbies. Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief. It was cute! Made me want to read the books.
Snow day at the Dahl's. They live in Park City and it was snowing like crazy. In fact, we couldn't get up the hill to their house and Renee had to drive down and pick us up. No AWD on our car. It's a CA baby. It's never seen snow before.
YES, it was THAT cold!
Leah wasn't too happy with me. Is she ever???
Later that day, we decided we needed to spend some time with my mom and stepdad. So we headed out to the Aquarium in Sandy. It was really cute. Not too big, but definitely big enough to spend an hour or so there. And they had some pretty cool things to see.
That's a cockroach. The largest kind out there. Disgusting! And in the words of Brandon (which are few), BLECK!
Coolest looking frog ever. It was SO blue. Apparently it's skin is poisonous. Figures!
These were rubber eels I think. They really did look like rubber. It was creepy.
Awesome little fish huh? It can see above and below water out of those two eyes.
Brandon taking a little chapstick break.
And to top it all off. The end of my 2 weeks sugar free (dessert free) experiment! It wasn't really a diet, although losing some weight would have been nice. It was more to prove to myself that I really could do it. And I did. No cheating for me. This was the best way to end it. At Nielson's Frozen Custard shop in Las Vegas, Nevada after eating dinner at Cafe Rio next door. SO yummy. This custard is at least twice as dense as ice cream and is WAY more creamy. Mix in some reese's peanut butter cups and you have a little bit of heaven in a cup.
7 comments:
Thanks for posting this so soon. The pictures of the Dahls totally made me cry. So amazing. They all look so full of joy. Seriously the church is amazing. Anyhoo - Now we can finally get together. I think we all need a girls night too, so Emily and I can hear all the details.
What an amazing experience/story/memory!!!! And yes she is adorable! Did you get a headache after the Frozen Custard? LOVED your dress and boots. Glad you guys had so much fun.
I totally did it for you Beth. And YES, we do need to have a GNO and SOON. I haven't seen you and Emily in TOO long.
And no, Rachel, I didn't get a headache after my frozen custard, but it was late and I went to bed soon after. And I only ended up eating about half of it.
how awesome! This was a really cool post for me to see because soon Danny and I will be sealed to the kids. What an awesome thing for you to witness! Their family is beautiful and they all look so happy. What a great group of friends you have...
Great post!!! It was a weekend to remember. We loved being with you guys. Yes, I was bawling. I didn't realize it at the time, but yeah, seriously emotional...
Wow! What a touching story! I even cried!!
Thanks :)
Wow! i'm all teary looking at these pictures too! I am so glad you guys were there and Renee's family looks just absolutely perfect. what a great day. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Thanks, Amber.
And yes. let's do a girls night. ASAP.
Post a Comment