Yesterday morning as I'm getting ready for church, Brandon walks into my room with a cup of melted ice water from a restaurant we had gone to the night before. The straw was gone and the lid was all smashed up. I looked at him and said, "Where did you get that? You can't have those types of cups upstairs". He looked at me, handed me the cup and then took my hand. He led me down the hallway to the girls room. He walks into the room and pats his hand on top of the lego tupperware box. I said, "Is that where you found the cup?" He shook his head yes. I said, "who's is it?" He pointed up to the topbunk where Ashlyn sleeps. I walk back down the hall to my bedroom where Ashlyn and Leah were laying on my bed. I said to Ashlyn, "Did you take that cup upstairs last night and leave it in your room?" With a concerned look on her face she says, "sorry mom".
So there you have it. The boy does not need any words. He fully communicated and even TOLD on his sister without so much as saying a single thing. I had to laugh.
12 comments:
Adorable and very familiar.... it is funny to me though that there is simply no interest in really talking. Crazy boys!
haha he is awesome!!!
haha way to go Brandon!
That is fantastic. Now, a quick question b/c E doesn't speak much (well, he's got three words and that is it)...did your ped. recommend speech therapy or tell you to wait and see b/c he's got older siblings that talk for him? Mine, at 15M, wants him evaluated and others in Omaha said they will evaluate then say, "You need to wait until he's two before we do anything."
Just wondering what another part of USA thinks...
too funny. he's a sneaky one.
Jessica, My pediatrician wasn't worried about it at his 18 month check up because Brandon communicates well despite his lack of words and because "technically" he still fell within the normal range of words for his age (which I think was 7-10 words). Now I know LOTS of 18 month olds that say more than 7-10 words, but I guess they are "above average". I don't know what his ped. will say when we go for his two year check up at the end of April, but I'm not too worried about it. None of my kids have been real early talkers. Plus he jibber jabbers alot...i.e. he thinks he is talking. haha...I'm sure he'll catch on soon enough. Hope this helps.
Jessica, I hope you don't mind me responding to your question.... My now 2yr. old (Feb. 15th) is just now starting to really speak. He has shown no interest until the past few months. At his year and 18 mo. check-ups, they said to wait until he's two before we make any decisions. At his two-year check-up I told her that he has just started trying. So she told me to wait three months and see just how much it improves. She's basically looking for two word sentences, "Please mommy" "Up mom" etc. He just began that this month. So he may need nothing. I was told by another pediatrician that speech therapy would be their last option. And yes, my current pediatrician said the fact this his brother talks for him, plays a huge role. Ok, I'm rambling... basically, I was told not to be too concerned at this point.
That is super cute! A man of few words.
This is so cute, Amber. I could totally, totally picture the whole thing. You're such a good little mommy! And about the speech thing...it's sooo normal for boys to wait a really long time to talk. I wouldn't worry til they're like 2.5,3 yrs. old.
Beckam hardly talks either. He fully communicates and uses lots of jestures to get others in trouble as well. We have a neighbor boy his age who pushes and pulls his hair. Whenever we mention his name Beckam grabs his own hair and scowls. I did have him start speech therapy about 18 months of age though. They were not too concerned but said that you can't start things like that too early. Even if there was not a problem it helps with communication skills.
Good luck!
Being the only boy in the house, he may not ever get a word in anyway! I love that he told on his sister!! What a cutie!
That boy takes after his mom... hee hee
Post a Comment