Ashlyn's been working hard on her AR goal (accelerated reading). Every school trimester her teacher gives her a goal to meet and if she meets that goal, she gets to go to a pancake breakfast. If she exceeds that goal by 150%, than she gets a bigger award. The first time you do, you get a medal. The second time, you get a pin for that medal. And the third time you do, you get a trophy. Well, Ashlyn should have gotten it the first trimester, but kind of got robbed of it by her stinky teacher who had imposed all these extra "rules", but whatever. She earned it again this time and I was so happy for her. She wanted that medal SO bad and she did it. Even after her new teacher wasn't able to fix a glitch in the computer testing program and she missed out on a taking a test on a book worth A LOT of points. She had to kick it into high gear and read another big book in less than two weeks. So she definitely earned that award.
Her and her friend Dalia, were the only two in her class to get the 150% Award.
Isn't she the cutest thing? I'm so proud of her!
And not to leave sweet little Leah out. She definitely does not love to read as much as Ashlyn does. And she is still working on learning to read. But she just got into the AR program this new trimester and has really impressed me with how much she is working on getting her AR books done and tests taken. She has to take two tests a week to get 150% of her goal, but so far she's on track. I'm really grateful for this program at their school. I wish I had something like that as a kid. I was not much of a motivated reader and it's something I wish I would have developed more in grade school. So I'm proud of my girls for working so hard.
3 comments:
Way to go, Ashlyn! She is just a cutie. It's nice to hear that Leah isn't so into reading, and that even half way through 1st grade she is still working on it. Tucker is the same way as Leah, and after having 2 who are HUGE readers and are years above their reading level (Hannah and Chloe), it has definitely been a struggle. And our school doesn't offer the AR program. I wish it did, that would probably motivate him more. I have seen much improvement in him that last 2 months, but I sure wish we had that program too! It sounds awesome!
Atta girl, Ashlyn!
Wow! Ashlyn you are such a fantastic student. I am so proud of you. Your hard work really paid off.
Post a Comment