Monday, March 4, 2013

Date Night

If I had my choice, Paul and I would go out once a week (maybe more). But at this stage in our life, with young kids and such, we are glad to be doing well to get out together twice a month. Paul picked our date this time, as he REALLY REALLY wanted to go to this art exhibit at Pepperdine University. All of the art was from the early 1900's and were original pieces. They were AMAZING. I'm not sure I've ever seen too many original pieces of art like this. And while I'm no where nearly as educated about art as Paul is, I really had a fun time looking at everything. After the exhibit, we went out to dinner and of course ended our date at Target picking up a few needed items before Sunday. Isn't that where any good date ends? Haha...ok, not really, but I know I'm not the only one that does this.


I don't necessarily love what this artist decided to paint, but what caught my attention when I saw it across the room, is that I literally thought it was 3D. It was only as I got up on it that I realized it wasn't. It was incredible how the artist was able to bring so much depth to a flat image. I had to show incredible restraint to keep from reaching out and touching every painting I looked at, most of which had slight line cracks from being so old.



A lot of art in the early 1900's were for magazines and advertisements. This one was for a "no run" pantyhose. Pretty awesome huh!


This one was entitled, "Secret Admirer". I thought it was so endearing.


Mary washing Christ's feet. 



This artist's story is so sad. He is the brother of a very famous artist who never felt like he was as good as his brother. He ended up dying a tragic death (from an overdose). It's incredible to me that he somehow looked at this painting after he was done, and felt like it wasn't "good enough". 



The next several pictures are from JC Leyendecker and are quite amazing. 
He's one of Paul's all time favorite artists. Norman Rockwell has been said to pattern his artist style after him. So that tells you a bit about how talented this guy was.



This was probably my favorite one though. It's a painting of a first flight in an airplane. It's just beautiful to me. And really, these pictures just don't do the real things justice. I'm so glad we were able to go. 




Isn't this the cutest thing ever? I wanted to reach out and kiss this adorable baby Cupid myself!


The Count of Monte Cristo, for all my friends who "recently" (okay, it's been a couple years probably) who got together to watch this movie one night.



And of course, the very typical photo of me and Paul when we have no one to take a picture of us together. Love you honey!


4 comments:

Beth said...

Fun!!! Reminds me when I lived in NYC and used to go to the art museum all the time. I love dates that aren't the usual dinner and a movie.

RachelAA said...

What a great date! And I don't think you could have picked a better campus to visit :) And yes, you're not alone in ending a date at Target. It really is magical going there with no children.

hannah said...

We are going to this on Sat. Now I'm even more excited :)

Michelle said...

Loved all the art! So beautiful!