Sunday, July 20, 2014

An overnight date for me and Paul

For Mother's Day, Callie gave me a free over night date. I figured I better cash in before she headed off to college, so even though we had just gotten back from the beach the day before, I packed back up and Paul and I took off for the night. It's Dreamworks 20th Anniversary, so they gave all their employees two free tickets to a Dreamworks celebration concert at The Hollywood Bowl. We have never been there, even though we've lived here 11 years now, so we didn't know to bring blankets and jackets and a picnic dinner. We still had SO much fun though and I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Next time we'll know better though and come prepared. 

Jack Black was the host and he was hilarious. There were songs from different movies Dreamworks has done over the years including one of my favorites from "The Prince of Eygpt" sung by a lady named Judith Hill. She was incredible. The night ended with fireworks and the composers of the music, including Hans Zimmer and Danny Elfman, rocking out on electric guitar to "We Believe" from the Shrek soundtrack. It was incredible. So even though our seats were pretty lame, we didn't even care. It was still so much fun.




We found a cute little hotel in Glendale close to the shuttle station that took us to The Hollywood Bowl. It was built in the 1920's and was probably the tiniest room you have ever seen for a hotel. But the bed was the most comfortable thing ever and I totally felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. We slept in as long as we could and then packed up and headed a few doors down to Porto's bakery for the yummiest brunch! I haven't been to Porto's much (only had a few cakes from there for birthdays and such). That place is amazing and I can't wait to go again!



We had plans to go use our Universal Passes for the day, but once we parked we realized our passes were blocked. We made the most of it and shopped around City Walk, watched a movie, and had dinner at Tony Roma's. It was such a nice little get away. Thanks to Callie for watching our kids and holding down the fort so well. I'm gonna cry sheets of tears when she heads off to college!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

This sounds way awesome! So jealous!

RachelAA said...

You totally made the best of it. Now my mouth is watering ;)