Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer's rolling along

Yesterday was our first beach day of the summer. Unfortunately, it was not as successful as I had hoped. Darn fog hung over the beach the whole time we were there, even though my weather app said it was suppose to blow over by noon. Oh well! At least it wasn't freezing cold. Just cloudy and hazy. The kids still had fun and we got to come with Gracie and her mom Patty, so it was still a great day! Plus we just got a couple of boogie boards for the kids, so they had fun playing in the water with them. 



Crazy thing was that for as hazy as it was, the water wasn't freezing cold. I know you don't believe me because Brandon looks pretty cold in this picture, but seriously, it wasn't too bad. It's been way worse. Plus he had been in the water for quite some time at this point, so he probably was getting cold. He didn't let it stop him though. Kept going back for more and more. And then would run to the warm sand and roll in it to warm up. Needless to say, he was covered in sand from head to toe by the time we left. He's probably still getting it out of his ears.


Carter is still figuring out how the whole boogie board thing works. Lol. He seriously set it down at the edge of the shore, facing the ocean and waited. Hahaha….I'm not sure what he expected to happen, but I'm sure it wasn't "nothing", which is exactly what happened. Silly boy! He'll figure it out soon enough. For now, I'm happy he doesn't quite know what to do. He can't swim so boogie boarding is out anyway.


Kids took turns burying each other. A beach must!


And the girls turned Carter into a "Merman". He thought it was pretty cool! He even let them bury his hands. 


Me and my Ashlyn. She mostly sat in the chair next to me bundled up in a towel. She's not a huge beach lover, especially if the weather isn't perfect!


Then this morning Ashlyn had her appointment at Children's Hospital with the Medical Genetics dept. We got in WAY faster than I thought we would. They asked a ton of medical history questions. All about her, me, Paul and our entire family. Then the doctor checked her out from head to toe and declared her "normal". LOL. We already knew that, but at least she doesn't have some genetic syndrome that her Dermatologist thought she might have. She's just the perfect example of a recessive child. Got every recessive trait between me and Paul that she probably could have, and that's why she's so different looking from the rest of our kids. It's perfectly fine and I wouldn't change a thing about her. Not even her webbed toes. Well, maybe I'd wish more hair for her, but that's about it. And that's only for her sake. 

After we got home, it was time for band camp. On the way home, the kids talked me in to stopping at the Activity Center to play the games for a while. The girls enjoyed some air hockey and basketball, while Brandon and Carter were glued to Super Mario Brothers game.




As we headed back to the car, I told the kids I would time them as they ran back and forth down the field. Half way through the race, the sprinklers turned on. I couldn't believe the chances. It was hilarious. The other three kids freaked out and got out as soon as possible, while Brandon continued to run all the way back. He was soaking wet by the time he was done, but he loved every minute of it! 


I'd say summer is turning into exactly what it should be. Lazy, casual days combined with some fun and a little (hopefully not too much) boredom.  

3 comments:

Beth said...

Wait you did doctor, beach, band camp and more in one day!!?? You are super mom!

Amber said...

No no Beth! I should have clarified. Beach was Tuesday. Everything else was on Wednesday!

RachelAA said...

Still super mom ;) And question, are there plans to ever do anything with her webbed toes? I wish we left mine alone.